WHY BE AN EXCHANGE STUDENT?
Every year, about 8,000 young people from around the world participate in Rotary’s Youth Exchange Program.
With Rotary's Youth Exchange program you will travel to another country, learn a new language, and experience the culture in this new land. You will live with host families as you learn about the culture as you continue your high school education.
As an unofficial ambassador for Rotary, your community and your country, you will bring the world closer together while you’re making lifetime friends.
Students spend a full academic year with two or more host families beginning in late summer. Host parents provide room and meals as well as support and guidance. The host Rotary Club provides a limited monthly spending allowance, a counselor, and supervision.
Although parents should be prepared to cover travel, health insurance and a few other costs for the outbound student, Rotary arranges travel and assists with visa arrangements. In some cases scholarships may be available to help defray exchange costs. Talk to your local Rotary Club or Rotary District Chairperson about your individual situation.
If this experience sounds like something you would like to learn more about contact a Rotarian in your local Rotary Club.
Candidates should complete an application and submit it their sponsoring Rotary Club. Remember - all applications MUST BE TYPED and signatures on the application MUST be in BLUE INK. The sponsoring Rotary Club will hold an interview and, if appropriate, send you to the District Interviews on Saturday, November 10, 2012. If you pass the District Interviews, you will be off to a MANDATORY compatibility weekend on November 17-18. At Compatibility weekend you will learn more about Rotary, what it means to be an ambassador and you will pick the country you will exchange with. The country you are assigned will be announced at the Holiday Gathering in January.
OUTBOUND CANDIDATES (Application/General Information)
All 2013-14 Outbound Students are REQUIRED to attend the following events:
- January 6, 2013- Holiday Gathering
- February 22-24, 2013 - Mount Asbury Lodge Orientation Weekend
- April 13, 2013 - Outbound Orientation
- August 9, 2014 - Outbound Debriefing
Non-Mandatory Events, but highly recommended that you attend:
- March 2013 - Harrisburg Overnight (This is a mandatory overnight event for Inbounds, but also highly recommended for outbounds)
- April 2013 - Lancaster Overnight
- June 2, 2013 - Farewell Picnic
- District 7390 Governor - Dennis Zubler, 717-805-9352, email@example.com
- District 7390 Governor Elect - Hector Ortiz, 717-608-0444, firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 7390 Governor Nominee - John Judson, 717-877-0871, email@example.com
- District 7390 Student Protection Officer - Dr. Susan Kegerise, (W)717-657-5100, firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 7930 Youth Exchange Chair - Linda Spotts, (W)717-920-5250, (H)717-652-7548, email@example.com
- ESSEX Student Protection Officer - Ron Smith, (H) 610-277-7553, (C)215-896-6870, firstname.lastname@example.org
- US Department of State - 1-866-283-9090 or email@example.com