RYLA - For Rotarians
RYLA - For Rotarians
Extensive planning is underway for the annual Rotary Youth Leaders Conference. It is the responsibility of the Club President or designated RYLA Conference Chair to submit completed registration forms and fees for your Club’s candidates no later than May 5, 2017 to Melissa Bruck at the Rotary District Office, 515 South George Street, York, PA 17401-2723, and to carry out all auxiliary duties that accompany the selection of candidates for the conference. All responsibilities and duties are thoroughly explained herein.
Again, the goal of the District RYLA Conference Committee is to have each Rotary Club in the District be represented by at least one young man and one young woman at the Conference. If the Rotary Club serves an area that has more than one high school, the Club should select at least one male and one female student from each high school. Last year more than 135 students attended! We hope to better that total in 2017. Please attempt to have an equal balance of young men and women.
RYLA will be held Sunday, June 11 to Thursday, June 15, 2017.
REMIND YOUR STUDENTS - THEY MUST ATTEND THE ENTIRE CONFERENCE FROM REGISTRATION THROUGH THE CLOSE OF THE FAMILY NIGHT BANQUET!
- Students can download the application in PDF format and complete it on-line. PLEASE HAVE YOUR STUDENTS TYPE THE APPLICATION, THEN PRINT, ADD PHOTO AND SIGNATURES AND SUBMIT TO YOUR CLUB FOR APPROVAL.
- Students MUST attach a color, head shot, photograph that will be scanned and used in the Conference program. They can also email the photo to [email protected].
- ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST COMPLETE A MESSIAH COLLEGE CHALLENGE COURSE RELEASE FORM. Please return this form with the students application and fee. If a student does not complete a release form, they WILL NOT be able to participate in the team building activities.
- Fee: $475 per attendee
- Exchange students attending RYLA are not eligible for RYLA Awards.
- The Family Night Celebration Event will be held Thursday, June 15, 2017. Cost for Rotarians, parents and guests will be $15 per person for heavy hors d'ouevres. Money will be collected at registration on Sunday. There is no cost for Conferees to attend the banquet.
- If your student DOES NOT Attend RYLA, your Club WILL NOT receive a credit or refund!
- There are several RYLA scholarships available that a Club demonstrating economic need can apply for. If you would like to apply for a scholarship, please send a letter/e-mail to Melissa Bruck, 515 South George Street, York, PA 17401 or [email protected]. All requests will be evaluated by the RYLA committee. The deadline to apply is February 28, 2017. Clubs that are selected to receive a scholarship will be notified by March 1, 2017. If you have questions on scholarships, please contact District RYLA chair Gary Crissman at [email protected] or 717-545-6553.
YOUR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. In early or mid-March, you should visit area high schools to solicit the aid of Guidance Counselors or Principals to select the best candidates from the Junior Class who have demonstrated leadership qualities in some or all of the following areas:
§ Scholastic Achievement
§ Citizenship in School and Community
§ School Organization: Ex. Student Council, Honor Society, etc…
§ Extra-Curricular Activities: Ex. Athletics, Debate, Drama, Music, etc…
2. Supply the Principal or Guidance Counselors with sufficient copies of exhibit #2. Ask them to help you select the best candidates in the Junior Class according to the criteria in #1 above. At this time students should also complete the application.
3. Stress the importance of having several alternates of each gender in the event of late cancellation by final candidates. Withhold names of alternates from publication. Release only if a substitution is necessary.
4. Ask the school to have prospective candidates discuss the conference with those who attended the previous year. Supply their names on exhibit #2.
5. Establish a date and place for personal interviews with prospective candidates by your Rotary Committee.
6. Make certain with schools that selected candidates will be excused from classes for the conference should there be a conflict. Confirm that candidates guarantee their availability to attend the entire conference.
7. Make final selection according to the criteria in #1.
8. Notify each conference selectee of your decision using exhibit #3.
9. Upon receipt of completed application either mail or deliver, plus a $475 check by May 5, 2017 for each registrant to the Registrar: Melissa Bruck, Rotary District Office, 515 South George Street, York, PA 17401-2723. Make checks payable to DISTRICT ROTARY YOUTH LEADERS CONFERENCE.
10. It is recommended that candidates be invited to a Rotary meeting before the conference to meet Club members.
11. Parents of students should provide transportation to the conference. If parents are not able to provide transportation, they may contact you for assistance.
12. Call students a few days prior to the conference to verify attendance.
13. Attendance at the dinner counts as an official make-up for Rotarians. Reservation form