Applying to be An Outbound
Why Be An Exchange Student?
Every year, about 8,000 young people from around the world participate in Rotary’s Youth Exchange Program.
With Rotary's Youth Exchange program you will travel to another country, learn a new language, and experience the culture in this new land. You will live with host families as you learn about the culture as you continue your high school education.
As an unofficial ambassador for Rotary, your community and your country, you will bring the world closer together while you’re making lifetime friends.
Students spend a full academic year with two or more host families beginning in late summer. Host parents provide room and meals as well as support and guidance. The host Rotary Club provides a limited monthly spending allowance, a counselor, and supervision.
Although parents should be prepared to cover travel, health insurance and a few other costs for the outbound student, Rotary arranges travel and assists with visa arrangements. In some cases scholarships may be available to help defray exchange costs. Talk to your local Rotary Club or Rotary District Chairperson about your individual situation.
If this experience sounds like something you would like to learn more about contact a Rotarian in your local Rotary Club.
Candidates should complete an application and submit it their sponsoring Rotary Club. Remember - all applications MUST BE TYPED and signatures on the application MUST be in BLUE INK. The sponsoring Rotary Club will hold an interview and, if appropriate, send you to the District Interviews on Saturday, November 12, 2016. If you pass the District Interviews, you will be off to a MANDATORY compatibility weekend on November 12-13. At Compatibility weekend you will learn more about Rotary, what it means to be an ambassador and you will pick the country you will exchange with. The country you are assigned will be announced at the Holiday Gathering in January.
2016-17 Outbound Ethan Fogleman in Taiwan!
OUTBOUND CANDIDATES (Application/General Information)
- Long Term Exchange Application
- Long-Term Application Checklist
- Outbound Guidelines for a Good Application
- Outbound Age Chart
- Country Selections Available
- ESSEX Youth Exchange Guidelines, Conditions & Rules
- ESSEX Independent Travel Rules
- Calendar of Events
- Find More Information About Other Countries
- Student Protection Policy
- Outbound Student Code of Conduct
- Club & School Relationships
PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING WITH YOUR APPLICATION:
- Two Completed applications with original signatures in blue ink and color photos.
- A color photocopy of your passport. (Applications must include a copy of a valid passport. To be valid, a passport must not expire before February, 2019. Students cannot be placed until the student has a valid passport. Students without passports should apply for them immediately. Students who have passports that expire before February, 2019 should renew passports immediately. Please do not wait!)
- Signed ESSEX Youth Exchange Guidelines, Conditions & Rules
- Signed ESSEX Independent Travel Rules
- Signed Outbound Student Code of Conduct
- Country Selection List (Top 5)
- District 7390 Application Fee of $100 - check made payable to Rotary District 7390 YEP.
All 2017-18 Outbound Students are REQUIRED to attend the following events:
- November 12, 2016 - Interviews & Compatibility Weekend
- January 8, 2017- Holiday Gathering
- February 17-19, 2017 - Mount Asbury Lodge Orientation Weekend
- April 8, 2017 - Outbound Orientation
- August 2018 - Outbound Debriefing (This is typically held the first or second Saturday of August)
Non-Mandatory Events, but highly recommended that you attend:
- March 2017 - Harrisburg Overnight (This is a mandatory overnight event for Inbounds, but also highly recommended for outbounds)
- June 4, 2017 - Farewell Picnic
- District 7390 Governor - Kevin Cogan, 717-609-7770, [email protected]
- District 7390 Governor Elect - Una Martone, 717-599-1783, [email protected]
- District 7390 Governor Nominee - John May, 717-649-2053, [email protected]
- District 7390 Student Protection Officer - Tod Kline, 717-657-5117, [email protected]
- District 7930 Youth Exchange Chair - Linda Spotts, (W)717-920-5250, (H)717-652-7548, [email protected]
- ESSEX Student Protection Officer - Ron Smith, (H) 610-277-7553, (C)215-896-6870, [email protected]
- US Department of State - 1-866-283-9090 or [email protected]